Sunday, June 27, 2010

Learning Where We Are

By TIM KILLEEN

Let me begin this post by getting something right out in the open: I have major geek tendencies when it comes to pretty much any sort of knowledge that would be useful in Trivial Pursuit. (The fact that I have said tendencies should not be terribly surprising, considering I edit a blog). These tendencies especially kick in when it comes to history and geography- and when these things intertwine (as they often do) I'm in absolute nerd heaven.

Over the weekend, I was over at a friend's house and a few of us were sitting around trying to decide on playing a board game, watching a movie, etc. (I live a fascinating life). My friend had some trivia-esque book and was going through it and the conversation eventually came to geography. I mentioned something about my constant attempts to list all 192 recognized sovereign nations by memory and wound up getting quizzed on international capitals. As I was going through and naming some, a friend asked "seriously, how do you know these?"- and it made me wonder why so few people, especially Americans don't.

Now, to be fair, I do have a particular penchant for trivia and remember very random things, so my ability to list capital cities is sort of a function of that. But the other reason I know these capitals is that I've actually cared to find out. How many other people do? In the last 30 years, to how many places have American troops been deployed? How many American citizens would be able to name the capitals of Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Somalia and the former Yugoslav countries? Why so few? Don't these places matter? They certainly do to the people who live in them- and who probably take great pride in the history of their capital and what it represents.

Having lived abroad for a short time, I know that non-Americans pay attention, at least, to American politics and goings-on, as what happens in such a dominant country has ripple effects elsewhere. I didn't notice how much the people of Egypt (where I lived) paid attention to Cambodian politics or Canadian. I do know that all of my friends from the West who have traveled elsewhere have been fascinated to learn about new cultures. Why stop only at the countries we visit? Pick up a book about the history of a country you know nothing about. Read the news online from another part of the world. Find a map quiz game and extend your knowledge of geography. Maybe it's just the nerd in me talking, but you might actually enjoy it.

No comments: