Monday, April 26, 2010

Legalizing Pot: Calm Down

In the past few weeks I've heard and read a lot of back and forth regarding the legalization of marijuana, both by states and federally. California will have a ballot initiative in November to broaden the drug from medicinal use to recreational; Colorado has pending legislation to pull back on the decision to legalize medical marijuana; and pundits and passionate activists have been discussing the issue quite a bit. Personally, I don't have a strong stance on the issue one way or the other. My initial inclination is to keep it illegal and to rethink the way we punish offenders (because I do agree there are some overly severe penalties in certain cases), but I see legitimacy in points on both sides.

My more pressing question for strong proponents of legal marijuana is: really? Of all the social issues plaguing our world today- homelessness, poverty, hunger, AIDS, religious extremism, human trafficking- you chose legalizing pot? That's really your biggest, most important issue that needs to get solved right away? There are some people, usually on the left, who are generally politically involved and hold legalization of marijuana as a part of their agenda- fine. It's not on mine, but to each his own. However, from my own personal experience, the people who get truly fired up about this issue are not, otherwise, very politically motivated. Instead, this becomes the one issue that brings them into the democratic sphere.

Now, don't get me wrong, I invite everyone to get more politically involved and to have honest discussion about any major social issue. I think it's good for the country to do so. And I'm not even saying we should not discuss this particular issue (if enough people think it's important, have at it). I'm just unable to grasp what it is about legal marijuana that seems so important that it actually draws people into the fray to advocate so passionately about it. Maybe there's something I'm missing (wouldn't be the first, nor the last, time). If so, please enlighten me. But if not- and think about logically for a minute- then calm down about it.

No comments: